Samuel Islands

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Samuel Islands (54°11′S 37°37′W / 54.183°S 37.617°W / -54.183; -37.617Coordinates: 54°11′S 37°37′W / 54.183°S 37.617°W / -54.183; -37.617) are a group of small islands and rocks lying close to the south coast of South Georgia, 1.6 km (1 mile) west-southwest of Nilse Hullet and 3.2 km (2 miles) east-southeast of Klutschak Point. Surveyed by the SGS in the period 1951-57. Named by the United Kingdom Antarctic Place-Names Committee (UK-APC) after the catcher Don Samuel, built in 1925 and later owned by the Compania Argentina de Pesca, Grytviken, which sank in the vicinity of these islands in 1951.

See also[edit]

 This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Geological Survey document "Samuel Islands" (content from the Geographic Names Information System).  Edit this at Wikidata