Marsiling-Yew Tee Group Representation Constituency
|Group Representation Constituency|
for the Parliament of Singapore
|Number of members||3|
Ong Teng Koon
Halimah Yacob (2015–2017)
|Town Council||Marsiling-Yew Tee|
Marsiling–Yew Tee Group Representation Constituency (Chinese: 马西岭–油池集选区; Malay: Kawasan Undi Perwakilan Berkumpulan Marsiling–Yew Tee; Tamil: மார்சிலிங்–இயூ டீ குழுத் தொகுதி) is a four-member Group Representation Constituency (GRC) in the north-western part of Singapore. The constituency encompasses Chua Chu Kang (Yew Tee), Sungei Kadut Industrial Area, Kranji, Woodlands Checkpoint, and the west part of Woodlands.
The GRC was formed during the 2015 election, absorbing Yew Tee division from Chua Chu Kang GRC together with Woodgrove and Marsiling division from Sembawang GRC. Marsiling–Yew Tee GRC is currently led by Minister for National Development and Second Minister for Finance Lawrence Wong.
On 7 August 2017, then-Speaker Halimah Yacob resigned as Member of Parliament (MP) for Marsiling–Yew Tee GRC in order to contest in the 2017 Singapore presidential election, and elected as the 8th President of Singapore due to a walkover on the nomination day on 13 September 2017.
On 8 August 2017, Zaqy Mohamad, who is also an MP for Chua Chu Kang GRC, was appointed as grassroots adviser, under the government-linked People's Association, for Halimah's Marsiling ward. His appointment has caused controversy, as Halimah was the sole minority MP for Marsiling–Yew Tee GRC and a grassroots advisor is not the same as having a MP elected by residents of the constituency. While the government maintains that it is legal to forego the calling of a by-election, one of the original purposes of the GRC system was to ensure minority representation. The High Court dismissed a bid by the Singapore Democratic Party assistant treasurer Wong Souk Yee for a by-election to be called. Justice Chua Lee Ming presided on the hearing.
Members of Parliament
|2011||Chua Chu Kang GRC||Sembawang GRC||Carved from Yew Tee|
|2015||Alex Yam Ziming||Ong Teng Koon||
^ Yacob resigned her post on 7 August 2017 in order to contest in the 2017 Presidential Elections; the ward was temporarily substituted by Zaqy Mohamad as grassroots adviser not MP, who was also the Chua Chu Kang GRC MP.
- Yew Tee – Choa Chu Kang (Blks 6xx) and Sungei Kadut
- Woodgrove – Woodgrove Estate and Woodlands (Blks 101-113, 3xx, 4xx, 509–526 and 886–899)
- Marsiling – Woodlands (Blks 0xx, 1xx, 2xx and portions of 3xx), Kranji and Singapore Turf Club and Woodlands Checkpoint
- Limbang – Choa Chu Kang (Blks 5xx and 7xx), Limbang Park, Stagmont Park, Yew Mei Green, Villa Verde Estate and Woodlands Park Estate
Candidates and Results
Ong Teng Koon
Wong Souk Yee
|PAP win (new seat)|
- "PM Lee accepts Halimah Yacob's resignation from the PAP". Channel NewsAsia. 7 August 2017. Archived from the original on 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- Halimah Yacob to be sworn in as Singapore's 8th President on Thursday: PMO (Strait Times Newspaper) Retrieved September 13th, 2017.
- Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh (9 August 2017). "Zaqy to take over Marsiling grassroots adviser role". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 10 August 2017. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh (7 Feb 2017). "No by-election if minority MP leaves GRC, says Chun Sing". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 22 July 2017. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "High Court throws out SDP assistant treasurer's bid for Marsiling-Yew Tee by-election". TODAYonline. Retrieved 2018-04-29.