List of NCAA women's beach volleyball programs
This is a list of NCAA women's beach volleyball programs. It includes all of the varsity beach volleyball teams in the United States that have been approved to compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). As of the spring of the 2019–20 school year, 64 Division I, 16 Division II, and five Division III have been recognized by the NCAA. Two Division I, four Division II, and two Division III programs are awaiting sanctioning while several other programs are expected to apply in the near future.
With only Division I having a sufficient number of teams to support a divisional championship, the NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship is initially a single-division National Collegiate Championship with teams from all three divisions eligible. This list reflects each team's conference affiliation(s) as of September 2016. Originally referred to as "sand volleyball" by the NCAA, beach volleyball was approved as an "emerging sport for women" by the Division I and II members in 2009. By October 2014, the sport had surpassed the target of "... at least 40 varsity NCAA programs ..." and was approved by Division I to become the 90th NCAA championship; Divisions II and III also approved the championship in January 2015. The NCAA changed the name to beach volleyball in June 2015, "...because the sport is known as beach volleyball at all other levels of play throughout the world."
- Alternatively known as the SandBows. The school uses "SandBows" much more than the official women's sports nickname of Rainbow Wāhine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to NCAA women's beach volleyball.|
- "Women's Beach Volleyball Institutions". NCAA.org. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- "Schools Considering Beach VB" (PDF). American Volleyball Coaches Association. October 2019.
- "NCAA DII, DIII membership approves Sand Volleyball as 90th championship". NCAA. September 17, 2015. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- "NCAA's newest championship will be called beach volleyball". NCAA. September 17, 2015. Retrieved October 30, 2015.