El Toro High School
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|El Toro High School|
25255 Toledo Way
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Saddleback Valley Unified School District|
|Teaching staff||94.13 (FTE) (2018–19)|
|Student to teacher ratio||24.99 (2018-19)|
|Athletics conference||CIF-SS; South Coast League|
|Rival||Trabuco Hills High School|
El Toro High School is a public high school in Lake Forest, California, and is one of five high schools in the Saddleback Valley Unified School District (SVUSD). "El Toro" was the name of the community from the 1870s until a referendum in 1991. The school has served the area since 1973. The current principal of the school is Terri Gusiff.
El Toro began participating in the International Baccalaureate Program in 2004, the program was scheduled to end in 2011 due to district and state budget cuts, however it was slated to continue into 2012 school year.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- California Distinguished School 1988, 1994, & 2001.
- California "Top 100" High Schools Selection.
- 2003 WBA Class AAA Marching Band/Color Guard State Champions
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (August 2019)
- Nolan Arenado, professional baseball third baseman for the Colorado Rockies
- Brad Bufanda, actor
- Mike Carlucci, actor and voice-over artist
- Lauren Chamberlain, professional softball player, NCAA Division 1 home run record holder
- Matt Chapman, professional baseball third baseman for the Oakland Athletics
- Logan Dooley, trampoline athlete, 2012 Summer Olympics
- Elizabeth George, mystery novelist.
- Rob Johnson, USC and NFL quarterback
- Brian Krause, actor, Charmed
- Michael Landes, actor, Wonder Years, The New Adventures of Lois & Clark
- Scott Miller, UCLA and NFL wide receiver
- Erin Murphy, actress and fraternal twin sister Diane Murphy, Bewitched
- Ginger Pooley (née Reyes), bassist with bands Smashing Pumpkins and Halo Friendlies
- Lindsay Rhodes (formerly Soto) of Fox Sports Networks
- Austin Romine, professional baseball catcher for New York Yankees
- Scott Ross, USC LB and NFL player (Saints)
- Kaitlin Sandeno, swimmer, four-time Olympic medalist
- Josh Saunders, professional soccer player
- Dan St. Marseille, jazz musician and recording artist
- Frances Stark, artist
- Marc Stein, ESPN NBA reporter
- Steve Stenstrom, Stanford and NFL quarterback
- Kristy Swanson, actress, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Christine Woods, actress in Perfect Couples and FlashForward
- Elaine Youngs, professional beach volleyball player, AVP tour
Near the center of the campus there was a set of 20 stairs, known simply as El Toro 20, which gained notoriety in the skateboarding and BMX riding communities and was featured in numerous videos. There is also another set of stairs right next to the El Toro 20, but it was not used as frequently for high profile tricks. In June 2019, the stair set used for skateboarding was torn down. With the stair set being a flat bank, biker Dylan Stark used the stair set's demise as an opportunity to jump off a nearby roof on his mountain bike and use the bank as a landing There is now a gate blocking the top of the stairs.
- "Search for Public Schools - El Toro High (063386005296)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved May 4, 2020.
- "El Toro: Will It Change to Lake Forest?". Los Angeles Times. March 7, 1991. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Administration / Office - Saddleback Valley Unified School District". www.svusd.org. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on July 28, 2011. Retrieved May 25, 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Elizabeth George, Author".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 26, 2008. Retrieved May 2, 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "360 el Toro 20-set Crash Video". March 10, 2009.
- "Dylan Stark on Instagram: "Y'all thought the spot was done... #eltoro20 #MTB #street 🎥 @kaiquemachado @weedmaps"".
- "Rowdy on Instagram: "RIP EL TORO"".