Skyline of Azogues
|Founded||April 16, 1825|
|• Mayor||Virgilio Saquisela|
|• Town||60.94 km2 (23.53 sq mi)|
|• Metro||611.41 km2 (236.07 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,518 m (8,261 ft)|
(2015 INEC estimate)
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
The population of Azogues is approximately 40,000.
Azogues is located at 2,518 meters above sea level (8,261 feet), its population is of 39,848 inhabitants, its average temperature is 17 °C (63 °F). It is also known for its Panama hat industry (jipi japa); the hats are produced primarily for export.
The city's Catedral San Francisco is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Azogues (established 1968), split off from its present Metropolitan, the Archdiocese of Cuenca.
- Azogues is well connected on land to Cuenca by "via rapida" Biblian-Azogues-Cuenca; currently being widened to 6 lanes. It connects to Quito via I35 and to Guayaquil via I40, both newly improved branches of the Panamerican Highway.
- Azogues uses Mariscal Lamar Regional Airport located in Cuenca.
Azogues is a provincial town, near other even smaller towns, like Guapan and Cojitambo.
- The Best of Ecuador - Cañar
- GCatholic - cathedral, with Google satellite map
- Azogues, Cuenca Property Market Report
- www.azoguenos.com The cyber community of Azogues in the world.
|This Ecuador location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|