|Date opened||April 1935|
|Land area||8 ha (20 acres)|
|No. of animals||1,500+ (December 2011)|
|No. of species||126 (December 2011)|
Aalborg Zoo is a zoo located near the center of Aalborg in Denmark. Every year, Aalborg Zoo is visited by around 375,000 guests. The zoo covers 8 hectares (20 acres), and keeps more than 1,500 animals belonging to 126 species.
At the entrance, one can see the sculpture Det gode kup ("the good bargain") from 1925, made by artist C.J. Bonnesen. The sculpture was donated to Aalborg Zoo from the Urban brewery.
The zoo was opened in April 1935. Throughout the recent decades, Aalborg Zoo has put more emphasis on viability and conservation of nature, and today it plays a major role in various global projects on animal conservation, breeding, education, research and focus on fair trade.
Aalborg Zoo participates in many international breeding programmes in order to preserve endangered animals. Aalborg Zoo got an environment certificate and the first zoological garden, and the overall purpose of the zoo is to preserve nature. Aalborg Zoo has made their mark in many ways with projects on conservation of nature and environment. For example, Aalborg Zoo supports the Payamino Indians' efforts to preserve 60,000 hectares (150,000 acres) of endangered rainforest in Ecuador.
- "About the Zoo". aalborg-zoo.dk. Aalborg Zoo. Archived from the original on June 23, 2009. Retrieved July 2, 2010.
- Aalborg Zoo (2011). Årsberetninger[permanent dead link], p. 19. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- "EAZA Member Zoos & Aquariums". eaza.net. EAZA. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- "Zoos and Aquariums of the World". waza.org. WAZA. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- "Aalborg Zoo to test EcoTruck". denmark.dk. Government of Denmark. Archived from the original on June 23, 2010. Retrieved June 16, 2010.
- "Aalborg Zoo". danishnet.com. Danishnet.com. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aalborg Zoo.|
- Official website
- Web makes baby polar bear famous — Article on Milak, the newest polar bear cub at Aalborg Zoo