14th Street station (IRT Sixth Avenue Line)
|Former New York City Subway station|
Metropolitan Elevated Railroad station, 1882
|Address||West 14th Street and 6th Avenue
New York, NY 10011
|Line||IRT Sixth Avenue Line|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||June 5, 1878|
|Closed||December 4, 1938|
|Next north||18th Street|
|Next south||Eighth Street|
14th Street was a station on the demolished IRT Sixth Avenue Line. It had two tracks and two side platforms, and was served by trains from the IRT Sixth Avenue Line. The station opened on June 5, 1878, and was designed by famed Hudson River School painter Jasper Francis Cropsey, a trained architect. Beginning in 1907, the station had a connection to the 14th Street subway station of the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad. It closed on December 4, 1938. The next southbound stop was Eighth Street. The next northbound stop was 18th Street. Two years later the station was replaced by the IND Sixth Avenue Line platforms of the 14th Street / Sixth Avenue Subway station complex.
- "Days of Yore Recalled as 'L' Line Goes". Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. December 5, 1938. p. 9. Retrieved June 30, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- Smith, Roberta (August 28, 1998). "Critic's Notebook; Home Is Where the Easel and Quirks Are". The New York Times. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Sixth Avenue Local". Station Reporter. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011. Retrieved January 25, 2009.
|This Manhattan train station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|