150th Special Operations Wing
|150th Special Operations Wing|
|Branch||Air National Guard|
|Part of||New Mexico Air National Guard|
|Garrison/HQ||Kirtland Air Force Base|
|Colonel Esther C. Sablan|
|150th Special Operations Wing emblem|
The 150th Special Operations Wing (150 SOW) is a unit of the New Mexico Air National Guard, stationed at Kirtland Air Force Base. The wing traces its history back to the expansion of the 150th Tactical Fighter Group into the 150th Fighter Wing in 1995. In 2013, the wing combined with the 58th Special Operations Wing to became the 150 SOW, tasked with providing training for Air Force Special Operations Command units.
The 150th Tactical Fighter Group was constituted in 1957.
Civil engineers from the group deployed to Jamaica to help repair damage caused by Hurricane Gilbert in late 1988.
The group began converting from the A-7D Corsair II to the F-16 Fighting Falcon at the beginning of the 1990s. On 16 March 1992, the 150th Tactical Fighter Group was redesignated as the 150th Fighter Group. Its last A-7 was flown from Kirtland to Davis–Monthan Air Force Base for decommissioning on 28 September.
In October 1995 the 150th Tactical Fighter Group was expanded into the 150th Fighter Wing. On 1 December 2013 the 150th Fighter Wing was re-designated as the 150th Special Operations Wing and integrated with the 58th Special Operations Wing. The wing assumed the mission of special operations training.
- Constituted as 150th Fighter Group (Air Defense) and allotted to New Mexico ANG, 1957
- Received federal recognition and activated on 1 July 1957
- Re-designated: 150th Tactical Fighter Group, 1 April 1964
- In non-operational status, 26 January 1968 – 4 June 1969
- Re-designated: 150th Fighter Group, 16 March 1992
- Status changed from Group to Wing, 1 October 1995
- Re-designated: 150th Fighter Wing, 1 October 1995
- Re-designated: 150th Special Operations Wing, 1 December 2013
- 150th Maintenance Group, Unknown – present
- 150th Operations Group, Unknown – present
- 150th Mission Support Group, Unknown – present
- 150th Medical Group, Unknown – present
- 188th Rescue Squadron
- 250th Intelligence Squadron, Unknown – present
- 210th RED HORSE Squadron, Unknown – present
- "Abstract, History 150 Fighter Group, 1 January 1989–31 December 1992". Air Force History Index. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "History of the New Mexico Air National Guard – 1947–Present". 150th Special Operations Wing. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "150th Fighter Wing becomes 150th Special Operations Wing". New Mexico National Guard Public Affairs. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization 1946 – 1980, by Lloyd H. Cornett and Mildred W. Johnson, Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado (includes dates of federal mobilization of 150th Group)
- Rogers, B. (2006). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. ISBN 1-85780-197-0
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Mexico Air National Guard.|
- 150th Special Operations Wing official website
- On 1 December 2013, the 150th Fighter Wing became the 150th Special Operations Wing. 
- Kirtland AFB Fact Sheet
- Kirtland AFB Biographies-Colonel Joe A. Martinez II